Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Yes is WAY OVERUSED!

So today was another fulfilling day as a working mother.  It started with Adam forgetting his gym shorts and his off-handed question whether I could go get them....  And of course I answered "Yes" and it went like this:

It seemed easy to drive back home but I of course forgot about the traffic going by all of the schools to get home (the junior high, high school and elementary school are at the same intersection and 90% of the students are driven) so I decided to jump on the highway which was of course backed up because it was down to one lane.  Then I come home and go to Adam's room which looked like this:


So, of course I couldn't find any clean gym shorts in his room but there were some in the clean clothes still in his clothes basket from a week ago (note that the dirty clothes are on the floor because the basket is still in the laundry with clean clothes).  So I rummage through the clean clothes that are completely wrinkled because they were never folded and run out of the house with a clean pair of gym shorts.  I am not 30 minutes into this adventure.  I go back through the traffic to the school and gosh darn it I am going to talk to that kid.  I have him called out of class and hand him the shorts, sit on the bench by the front door of school and have a lecture on respect, responsibility, entitlement and how his 1 action has impacted my day.  I now need to work late because I was late getting into work....  Needless to say there is nothing like coming home to the sound of the washer and dryer and it wasn't started by you!

And since I haven't discussed my weight loss journey in a few days I have to tell you that I was VERY SCARED to go to Jenny Craig tonight.  I kept thinking of all of the things I had done wrong all week, not remembering anything I had done right.  After some counsel from friends I braved my way to the scale and YAHOO, lost 1.6 pounds!  I think I can do this another week!!

Here's to saying YES to me more often and NO to the kids more often...

3 comments:

  1. Ahhh, yes! I'm quite familiar with the "Mom, I forgot..." routine. It's kind of irksome especially since I drive them to school every morning and always ask if they have everything before we go. I only work part time, but I don't think my kids believe that I work because sometimes they'll text me in the middle of the day telling me that they forgot their lunch or whatever. They always seems surprised when I tell them I'm at work. Kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And saying YES to me! Especially when I'm there in a few weeks, and I ask, "Can we skip ALL sporting events?" ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't even think there are any sporting events that weekend and if there are it is just Coop's football game. And Jessica, same here, I drive them every morning and it just doesn't matter, something will be forgotten,

    ReplyDelete